Light, J. & Jakobs, T. (2016, July). Applying the stages of development: Experiences, challenges, and strategies from the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Augmentative and Alternative Communication. Invited paper presented at the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Centers Project Directors Meeting, National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR), Washington, DC.
- To share the experience of the RERC on AAC at each stage of development
- Describe challenges
- Discuss strategies to overcome some of the challenges
- To share the story of one R & D project
- RERC on AAC project, Development of AAC displays that support transition from graphic symbols to literacy (T2L) for individuals with complex communication needs (CCN)
- See https://rerc-aac.psu.edu/research/r2-investigating- aac-technologies-to-support-the-transition-from-graphic- symbols-to-literacy/