Team Leaders: Janice Light, David McNaughton, Christine Holyfield
AAC Consumer Team: Chris Klein, Tracy Rackensperger, Musar
Challenge and Background Information
- Literacy skills are essential to full participation in today’s society.
- More than 90% of individuals with complex communication needs enter adulthood without literacy skills.
- Individuals with complex needs who are not literate rely on pictures.
- Current AAC technologies do not support the transition from picture symbols to literacy.
- RERC on AAC (2014-20) developed an AAC software feature to support the transition to sight word reading.
- An individual selects a picture symbol
- The written word appears dynamically and is spoken out
- 88% of participants increased their literacy skills following exposure to the app.
The new RERC on AAC will investigate the effectiveness of a new app to support the acquisition of decoding skills by individuals with complex communication needs.